“I love this city, it’s been good to me. I’ve always wanted to help the people around me and now I have a chance to give back to the community.”

Glen Lerner

Glen Lerner Gives Back

Glen Lerner had a humble upbringing and understands the struggles that can deter people from their dreams. That is why he encourages the lawyers and support staff of his personal injury firm to pursue charitable activities and sponsorship opportunities within the communities where they live and work to help improve the lives of others.With the help of family and friends, great deeds have been achieved through the law firm’s charitable arm Glen Lerner Gives Back in Las Vegas, Pahrump, Phoenix, and Chicago. The law firm’s efforts through Glen Lerner Gives Back assist at-risk children, families and four-legged critters who face daily struggles during these hard economic times.
Charitable organizations they are involved with include:

Click here for an extended list of organizational groups Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys supports.

Glen Lerner Pays it Forward

Glen Lerner feels blessed to have been presented with opportunities that have made him the success that he is today. He believes in paying forward these blessing through acts of gratitude by giving something back to help make a positive community and social changes. Glen Lerner hopes that other business and individuals who can will also get involved and show an interest in making a difference and offering positive contributions within their own communities. Together the power of many joining together can make a difference.

Mark Avenue Fun Fest

Mark Avenue Fun Fest

This past Saturday, July 22nd, our law firm participated in the Mark Avenue Fun Fest in Elgin, IL. This event was hosted by Greater Grace Community Church in collaboration with Christ Community Church, Elgin Evangelical Free Church, Westminster Presbyterian Church, Fox Valley Christian Action and Glen Lerner Gives Back.

Despite area power outages and downed trees caused by a severe thunderstorm the night before, the Mark Avenue Fun Fest went on as planned. The fest began around 11 am and continued until 4 pm with a steady flow of neighbors joining in on the fun. The crazy weather did not stop families from enjoying all that this event had to offer. Surrounding the church was plenty of evidence of the damage caused by the destructive micro burst storm, but on the grounds of Greater Grace Church, the atmosphere was festive and welcoming.

As neighbors walked down the sidewalk and approached the church grounds, they could hear the live music provided by the PUSH band with members from The Vineyard and Discovery Church. As they got closer, they could smell the delicious BBQ lunch courtesy of Greater Grace Community Church. Once on the grounds, they could hear the laughter from the children playing all the fun carnival games provided by Elgin E-Free church. They could see the kids jumping on the bouncy house or sliding on the inflatable water slide, and even kicking balls into the giant soccer dart board game. As they gazed toward the blocked street, they could see the older youth playing around the basketball hoop. Our friend, Roger Simmons from Fox Valley Christian Action, ran a basketball three point contest for the older boys. There was definitely something fun for every age group to enjoy but this was not all.

At registration, each family also received a raffle ticket in anticipation of the grand prize finale. Parents with children in grades 1st through 5th could also sign up to receive back to school supplies courtesy of Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys. For our firm, the Mark Avenue fun fest marked the kick off of our back to school efforts here in Chicago. Through sponsorships and our very own school supply giveaway events, Glen Lerner Gives Back will serve 9,000 kids with school supplies in Arizona, Chicago, and Las Vegas in the 2017 season.

The Mark Avenue Community

Mark Ave is a community on the border of the Eagle Heights neighborhood in Elgin, IL. It is an area traditionally known to attract low-income families seeking affordable housing. On one side of the street is a row of apartment buildings while on the other side, single family homes. Depending on what side of the street one lives on, this often signals what socio-economic group one belongs to.

Glen Lerner Gives BackMark Avenue has never been a place to establish roots but more like a stepping stone in a personal quest to transition to a “better” neighborhood in Elgin. Over the years, the Mark Ave community has been known as a depressed and hurting community needing all the encouragement and support they could get. In the midst of this reality lies Greater Grace Community Church, a beacon of hope in this community. The church plays an important role in bridging the Eagle Heights and Mark Avenue communities through events such as The Mark Avenue Fest.
For more information about Greater Grace Community Church, please visit: www.ggcc.church

The Boys and Girls Club “Tween Room” Makeover

The Boys and Girls Club “Tween Room” Makeover

Just one mile west of the Las Vegas strip and nestled in the center of a residential neighborhood is the headquarters for the Boys and Girls Club of Southern Nevada. To the casual passerby, the Lied Memorial Clubhouse located on 2850 Lindell Road doesn’t look like much is happening inside but each day hundreds of underserved youth take refuge there.

Recently, our Las Vegas injury lawyers learned that the club was in need of support to create an age appropriate activity space for youth ages 10-12. Tomarco Glasper, the club’s director explained that these rooms are an important component of their programming. Providing fun and age appropriate spaces for these kids enhances their experience at the club. Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys agreed to help.

The project was a true community effort. Our law firm provided the funds needed to purchase equipment such as big screen TV’s, game controllers, sound bars and video games. Local artist Anne Mazzola joined us by purchasing and hand painting over two dozen canvasses with art work that appeal to this age group. The local youth and the Boys and Girls Club staff also helped by assembling equipment and by putting things in place. Together and in a short period of time, we were able to transform a dull space into a “Tween” worthy activity room.

On July 11th, 2017 we celebrated the completion of this project with an official unveiling. The kids loved the space! We enjoyed watching the smiles on each of their faces as they moved throughout the room trying out all the new activities.

Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys thanks, The Boys and Girls Club of Southern Nevada for the opportunity to serve and wish them continued success in their mission to enable young people to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.

Boys and Girls Club of Las Vegas

There are 14 Boys and Girls Clubs located throughout Southern Nevada. They offer programs and services that promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging and influence.

For more information, please visit their website at: www.bgcsnv.org.

Glen Lerner Gives Back Summer 2017

Glen Lerner Gives Back Summer 2017

Summer camp can be one the most exciting and life-transforming experiences that any young person can have. And yet, many children of low-income families never get to experience it. For this reason, our personal injury firm has partnered with The Salvation Army in Gary, Indiana and Waukegan, Illinois to make summer camp a reality for 30 underprivileged youth.

While at The Salvation Army’s Wonderland camp, young people will enjoy swimming in the lake, boating, music, archery, outdoor recreation, sports, arts and crafts, all while learning about God and making new friendships. For many of these kids, the time away from home is in itself lifesaving as camp serves as a safe haven from the challenges and dangers that kids face on the streets.

Here is what some of our sponsored youth had to say about their recent camp experience:

Santana Harper – 11 “I really loved going to camp. I never went before and it was awesome and I met really cool people there. My favorite part was being on the drum line.”

Shar’Mayne Harper – 9 “Thank you for sponsoring me to go to Music Camp. I went with my brother and cousin and it was super fun. We got to sing and had $5 for snacks at the snack shop plus we were able to swim every day. I did arts and crafts and made cool stuff. I can’t wait to go back.”

D’Maiya Clark – 8 “Camp was really fun. I made lots of friends. I got to sing and perform with my cabin at the talent show in my pajamas! And I can go in the pool now without floaty things!”

Carrington Slaughter – 8 “I really liked camp. I made lots of stuff and had fun. I sang and danced and ran around. Snack time and meals were my favorite.”

Sade Norton – 11 “I didn’t think I’d like camp at first since it was my first time and I only knew my brothers. I enjoyed hanging out with the girls in my cabin and playing games. I liked my theory class and want to be in band at the Corps next year.”

Armani Norton – 11 “Camp was good. I got to go swimming and meet new people. My counselor was cool and I got to sing. I’m glad I got to go and have fun.”

Jeffrey Norton – 16 “So camp was fun. We had great guests that really took time to be with me and my friends. I was in the highest choir and had a good time singing. I got to do stuff that I wouldn’t have been able to do in the city. Hopefully I can even work at camp next summer. Thank you for this opportunity.”

The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.9241 Camp Lake Rd
Box 222
Camp Lake, WI 53109-0222
Phone: (414) 889-4305
http://www.wonderlandcamp.com/

Hoving Home Serves Up Hope in Las Vegas

Hoving Home Serves Up Hope in Las Vegas

The classic Julia Robert’s movie entitled “Pretty Woman,” is most certainly a popular story of redemption, but sadly the Hollywood glamorization of prostitution is far from reality. The reality is that far too many young girls and women fall prey to the appearance of finding a better life succumb to a life of drug abuse and prostitution, which almost always ends in shattered lives and sometimes death.

Just a mile east of the fabulous Las Vegas Strip lies the Hoving Home, where hope is served 365 days a year. Over the past several months, the Las Vegas personal injury lawyers, staff, and other members of the Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys Community Outreach team has made several visits to learn about Hoving Home’s current needs and to explore opportunities for our personal injury firm to be of support. Seeing first-hand the real-life transformation of Hoving Home residents, where despair and brokenness are exchanged for hope and wholesome living, inspired us to get involved and to become advocates for the important work taking place there. It is Glen Lerner‘s hope that others will be inspired to give back to the community as well.

Tara’s Story

My name is Tara. I’m 23 years old. I was born and raised in Las Vegas. I had a great childhood, however, with growing up, my curiosity grew stronger and stronger. My curiosity led me to relationships with men and experimenting with any drug that I came across. My life soon consisted of money, drugs and doing any and everything to get my hands on it. I was in and out of jail and became a slave to the fast lifestyle. The drugs consumed my mind, body, and soul. I was an exotic dancer to support my habit which eventually led to prostitution.

I was lost, hopeless and ashamed on so many levels. Eventually, I wound up in jail facing felony charges and prison time. For the first time in my life, I cried out to God. I begged Him for a chance to change and to never go back to the way I was living. By the grace of God, I came to the Walter Hoving Home and was given the chance to change. I have learned to surrender my past and am no longer defined by what I have done or who I thought I was. I now have a personal and intimate relationship with Jesus that I never thought was possible. My relationships with my family have been restored and I continue to seek God’s will for my life. God has saved me and my chains are gone. I have been set free by His amazing grace

The Hoving Home

The Hoving Home was founded in Garrison NY back in 1967. In 1984, they expanded to a home in Pasadena California and then Las Vegas NV in 2006. The current capacity of the Las Vegas Hoving Home is 10 residents and management is hopeful to raise the funds needed to rezone to 16 residents. The demand for their services far outstrip the local Hoving Home’s capacity and as a nonprofit Christian organization, the ministry relies solely upon the financial contributions of concerned individuals, churches, corporations and other organizations. The Las Vegas personal injury lawyers at Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys proudly support The Hoving Home. For more information: www.walterhovinghome.org

Also consider attending the Hoving Home Gala in September, with special guest speaker, Daryl Strawberry – www.walterhovinghome.org

2017 Walk for STH “Stronger Together”

2017 Walk for STH “Stronger Together”

Walk for the Sojourner Truth House

On Saturday, June 10th the Gary, Indiana community including those at Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys, came together for the 2017 walk for STH themed “Stronger Together”. For those that attended, the event was more than just a walk; it was a celebration of hope. Local churches, businesses, government officials, and concern community members answered the call to fundraise and volunteer on behalf of the homeless and at-risk women and children.

On that beautiful day, over 100 volunteers and 400 walk participants gathered at the STH’s grounds to prepare for the 1.6 mile walk around the neighborhood. At the event, the Glen Lerner Merrillville injury attorneys and staff handed out water, sports drinks and nutritious snacks for the event participants. What a joy it was for us to be able to interact with each of the groups that participated and join in their excitement for service.

Thanks to the outstanding work of the STH staff and volunteers, the 2017 STH Walk went as planned and without a hitch. Sister Peg Spindler, executive director, reported that STH had surpassed the amount they hoped they would reach by the end of that day. This success would not have been possible without the collaboration of like-minded groups coming together. Over 27 sponsors comprised of local businesses including the staff and Merrillville personal injury lawyers at Glen Injury Attorneys contributed to make sure that every dollar raised through the event could go towards direct services to the woman and children STH serves.

TOGETHER, we were definitely STRONGER!

SPECIAL THANKS TO THE 2017 WALK FOR STH SPONSORS:

• Indiana American Water
  • Glen Lerner Gives Back (Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys)
  • Greater Northwest Indiana Association of Realtors
  • NIPSCO
  • Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ
  • Powers & Sons Construction Company
  • TWG Development, LLC
  • Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes
  • St. Catherine Hospital (Community Healthcare Systems)
  • TRI-ELECTRONICS
  • Ameristar (East Chicago)
  • Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (Sigma Phi Omega Chapter)
  • Black Diamond Pipe & Tube, Inc.
  • Hall Render, Killian Heath & Lyman
  • I.L.A. Local 1969 (AFL-CIO)
  • Tri Kappa Beta Rhe Chapter
  • Loomis | Sayles
  • Marram Health Center
  • Methodist Hospitals
  • Purdue University (Northwest College of Nursing)
  • Peoples Bank
  • Ricci’s Landscape Management Inc.
  • Rob’s Music Kingdom
  • Scott Steel Services, Inc.
  • Swartz Retson
  • United Steel Workers USW Local 1066
  • The WDS Group

Sojourner truth house walk

Sojourner Truth House (STH) is a day center located in Gary, Indiana, that serves homeless and at-risk women and their children. Founded by the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ in 1997, STH serves more than 2,092 clients each month.

STH assists clients staying in local shelters with help applying to benefits, referrals to community support agencies, basic skills, employment training, healthcare screenings, addiction counseling and assistance with transitional housing.

To learn more: https://www.sojournertruthhouse.org/ to donate towards the 2017Walk For STH: http://www.walkforsth.org

Page 2 of 2512345...1020...Last »