“I love this city, it’s been good to me. I’ve always wanted to help the people around me and now I have a chance to give back to the community.”

Glen Lerner

Glen Lerner Gives Back

Glen Lerner had a humble upbringing and understands the struggles that can deter people from their dreams. That is why he encourages the lawyers and support staff of his personal injury firm to pursue charitable activities and sponsorship opportunities within the communities where they live and work to help improve the lives of others.With the help of family and friends, great deeds have been achieved through the law firm’s charitable arm Glen Lerner Gives Back in Las Vegas, Pahrump, Phoenix, and Chicago. The law firm’s efforts through Glen Lerner Gives Back assist at-risk children, families and four-legged critters who face daily struggles during these hard economic times.
Charitable organizations they are involved with include:

Click here for an extended list of organizational groups Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys supports.

Glen Lerner Pays it Forward

Glen Lerner feels blessed to have been presented with opportunities that have made him the success that he is today. He believes in paying forward these blessing through acts of gratitude by giving something back to help make a positive community and social changes. Glen Lerner hopes that other business and individuals who can will also get involved and show an interest in making a difference and offering positive contributions within their own communities. Together the power of many joining together can make a difference.

We Love Northwest Indiana

We Love Northwest Indiana

There are many reasons why Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys loves Northwest Indiana.  These top our list:

Northwest Indiana is Where We Do Business

This region has been home to Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys since 2013. Our local personal injury office located at 421 W 81st Ave in Merrillville has successfully served hundreds of clients from Lake, Porter, and La Porte counties over the past 4 years.

Northwest Indiana is Where We Live and Work

Our managing attorney, Jonathan Faust was born and raised in Lafayette, Indiana and currently resides in northwest Indiana with his family.  This makes us a local firm, managed by a local Indiana attorney serving the needs of the hardworking families in the region.

Northwest Indiana is Where We Serve

There is nothing we desire more than to support our local community and be a part of the fabric that makes this region a great place to live, work and serve.

Our personal injury firm strives to be known for exceptional legal representation and responsible community engagement through our charitable initiative called Glen Lerner Gives Back.

Our community engagement is based on long-term, organic relationships with our neighbors and partnerships with local organizations and businesses seeking to enhance or improve the quality of life of the local community through grassroots efforts.

Some of these great organizations include:

• Bethel Church (Gary)
  • Bethel City Life Center (Gary)
  • Campagna Academy,(Schererville)
  • Embassies of Christ (Gary)
  • Faith Community Development Corporation (Gary)
  • Gary Downtown Emerson Spotlight (Gary)
  • Habitat for Humanities- ReStore (Gary)
  • Miller Spotlight (Gary)
  • Progressive Community Church (Gary)
  • Sojourner Truth House (Gary)
  • The Crown Point Community Foundation (Crown Point)
  • The Lake County Crossroads Regional Chamber (Merrillville)
  • The Legacy Foundation (Merrillville)
  • The Salvation Army (Gary/Merrillville)
  • Town of Merrillville (Merrillville)

Jonathan Faust Northwest Indiana injury lawyer, Glen Lerner injury attorneys

Jonathan Faust is the Managing Attorney of the Chicago and Merrillville accident and injury law firms of Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys.  He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in History from Ball State University in 2004.  Jonathan earned his Juris Doctor degree, Magna Cum Laude, from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, where he was also a member and Associate Editor of the Indiana Law Review.  While in law school, Jonathan interned with the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office, serving in the Major Felony Narcotics Division.  He also served as a judicial extern with the Head Magistrate of the Marion County Juvenile Court.  Jonathan was named Robert H. McKinney’s 2010 Client Counseling Competition Champion and earned the distinction of ABA Regional Client Counseling Competition semi-finalist.

Jonathan’s decision to practice personal injury law is rooted in his desire to help and serve others.  He has dedicated his legal career to making a difference in the lives of victims harmed by the negligent actions of others.  Over the past 5 years, he has personally helped hundreds of accident and injury victims recover millions of dollars from insurance companies for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.

Jonathan is a proud member of the Christian Legal Society and Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. He is a lifelong supporter of Purdue University Athletics and a loyal member of the John Purdue Club.  He and his wife Megan, live with their three children in Northwest Indiana. Jonathan is licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois.

The Maywood Chess Club

The Maywood Chess Club

Just down the street from our Glen Lerner Injury Attorney’s office in Maywood is a community program that teaches important life lessons to kids using the game of chess.  The Maywood chess club under the direction of former library trustee Mr. Gordon Hanson meets every Wednesday from 5 to 7 pm at the Maywood Library.

On any given week around 15 kids participate in the club.  The kids range from having zero knowledge of the game to those considered “tournament” ready.  At the club, the kids play and learn from one another.  They also benefit from the instruction and mentoring from Mr. Hanson and a couple of his adult volunteers.  Having other caring adults there ensure that each child is given the attention they need to improve in their game.  The club is always looking for a few more volunteers.

For Mr. Hanson, chess is not just a game.  He believes that chess can teach kids transferable skills needed to navigate other areas of life.  As in chess, kids learn that life is about making the right moves and that every move has consequences.  In a recent interview Hanson said,   “If you make a good move, you have a good consequence. The thing is… you have to know how to strategize and think several moves ahead in order to get the outcome you want.”

Playing chess on a regular basis can also:

• Raise a person’s IQ
  • It exercises both sides of the brain.
  • It helps improve memory and concentration
  • It teaches planning and foresight
  • It increases problem-solving skills and creativity
  • It builds inner confidence

Compared to the games played by most kids today, chess can dramatically impact a kid’s life in a positive way.  Thank You Mr. Gordon Hanson for your personal donation of time, talent and treasure on behalf of the kids in Maywood and for the opportunity you extended to us to get involved. We consider this a strategic move!

Spring Break Safe Haven for Area Youth

Spring Break Safe Haven for Chicago Area Youth

Spring Break Safe Haven for Area YouthOver the past few months, our personal injury firm has become a fan of the Chicago Police Department’s CAPS program. CAPS, (which stands for “Community Alternative Policing Strategy”) seeks to bring the community and other agencies together to identify and solve neighborhood crime problems, rather than simply react to their symptoms.

We believe the CAPS mission aligns with the Glen Lerner Gives Back vision to become immersed in the local neighborhoods and the lives of residents throughout our city. Glen Lerner Gives Back had the opportunity to partner with the CAPS program to create a “Safe Haven” for Chicago Police Department – District 009 area youth during the week of April 10th-14th.

With the CAPS strategy in hand, and recognizing the urgent need addressed by the local community, Glen Lerner Gives Back committed the resources needed to provide 5 days of safe recreational activities for local area kids. CAPS officers and local community leaders collaborated to determine which age range and neighborhood areas would benefit most from a week of programming that consisted of what we termed, “Recreation and Inspiration”.  It was determined that the program would be open to youths ages 7-15.

Our “Safe Haven Spring Break” kicked off at 9:30 am on April 10th, starting with a continental breakfast coordinated by the CPD and funded by Target.  This breakfast was provided every morning of the program and was a key component of the day, as many of the kids come from homes where breakfast is often unavailable.

After breakfast, the youth would spend over two hours playing soccer and basketball and enjoying the many amenities of Chicago Indoor Sports, who graciously hosted our event. (Mr. John Burns and the entire facility staff, went above and beyond to welcome the kids)

The youth were given full access to all the facility had to offer, which included unlimited game access to the Razzmatazz Arcade, and provided a pizza lunch every day. On Wednesday, the 12th, the kids enjoyed a roller skating party at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Park & Family Entertainment Center.

Our firm
was also fortunate to receive the much-needed and greatly appreciated time and efforts of Bridgeport community chaperones, coaches, and youth leaders. They made themselves available daily to not only provide supervision but to interact with the children and serve as positive role models. Some of them even got to share their stories during the “Daily Inspiration Youth Chat” and informal conversations throughout the day.  Our very own Glen Lerner shared his personal story of being raised by a single parent on welfare, with a dad in prison and how with God’s help he persevered and overcame those setbacks. Glen’s background resonated with the youth, and his story inspired them, along with his advice to have goals, work hard, and to trust God with their futures.

The success of this week was a result of the collective efforts of the community.  It was also a powerful testimony of what can be accomplished when groups collaborate to identify issues, work to solve them and make a positive impact where it is needed most.

Our gratitude and appreciation go out to Senator Antonio Munoz, Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council/Craig Chico, City Year, Brenda Davis,  9th District Police, Commander Stephen Chung, Sgt. Ken Janeczko, Sgt. John Verta, P.O. Sabrina King, P.O. Cheryl Clark, P.O. Kevin Rochwicz, P.O. Jim McAndrew, P.O. Jim Campagna, P.O. Oscar Escalante, CAPS implementation office/Rick Contreras and Terry Wenta, San Miguel School/Salvador Chavez,  Fuller Park/Lisa Simpson, Sherman Park/Marvin Tolbert, Theresa Johnson, Hermitage Park/Monique Whitfield, Kelly Park/Luis Ruiz, Brighton Park/Jennifer Ruiz, and Cornell Park.

Teaching Life Lessons Through Basketball at Piccolo Middle School

Teaching Life Lessons Through Basketball at Piccolo Middle School

By Injury Attorney Thomas Grace

Basketball has been a part of my life since I was nine years old.  I built my early friendships on the driveway playing basketball from sun up to sun down.  I learned to compete, I learned how to win and certainly how to lose.  The game taught me how to work with others and how to be responsible and accountable to others.

Those same lessons translated for me into the classroom.  I knew it was okay to work hard and to want a better grade in my classes than my friends.  I set goals for myself, pushed myself to achieve them, and learned from my mistakes when I fell short.  Competing honestly and with integrity was okay, basketball taught me not only that competing hard was okay, but how to do it.  Along the way, I developed confidence and a sense of self-worth that permeated all aspects of my life.

There is a certain honesty about sport that is unique.  I learned that once I stepped on the court, it was not long before the game rewarded my hard work and preparation, but the game also exposed my weaknesses just as quickly.  I had to take ownership of my level of play.  Basketball taught me the importance of hard work and preparation.  Hard work always pays off.  Not always in the way I anticipated or when I expected, but hard work always pays off.  Basketball taught me that lesson over and over again.

I never achieved great success as a basketball player.  But I tried, I completely committed to being the best player I could be.  I approached basketball with passion and with no fear of failure.  And I loved every minute I was on the court.

I took what basketball taught me and applied it to my studies, to my career, and to all aspects of my life.  As I grew older, I found other ways to feed my competitive nature.  Ultimately, I became an attorney and traded the basketball court for the courtroom.  Even in the new venue, I had to be prepared and worked harder than I ever had before.

I do not know how I would have stayed focused and on the right path without the lessons from basketball.  I would have been lost, adrift, without it.  When Glen Lerner challenged the attorneys in his Chicago law firm, Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys, to give back to the communities in Chicago, I immediately turned to what I know, basketball.  The firm is built around its client relationships and from its founder’s insatiable desire to help people.  Glen makes community outreach a priority and demands that those around him also make it a priority.

I have coached youth basketball for 7 years.  I have coached in more than 150 competitive youth basketball games in tournaments in Chicago, Austin and Houston, Texas, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. With all due respect to the Cubs’ recent accomplishments, Chicago is a basketball town and Michael Jordan is still its hero.  Chicago high schools have produced some of the NBA’s greatest players, many hall of fame players and coaches.  Despite that history, funding of the Chicago Public Schools is so strained, that even the city’s basketball programs struggle to get what they need.  Combined with the gun violence in Chicago’s west side that has made national news, young ballers are having a tough time.

With the help of Triple Threat Mentoring, I was fortunate to connect with Piccolo Middle School in Chicago’s west side and meet some fantastic educators, Erin Lauesen and Michael Abello.  Erin is a teacher, administrator and a coach.  Michael is the principal at the school.  They are on the front lines, fighting for young boys and girls and their futures.  They welcomed me into their school and allowed me to teach basketball to the young players at the school.  I worked with them in their practices, conducted Saturday morning skills clinics and helped coach some of their games.

Time on the court with these young players is food for my soul.  There is simply nothing comparable to helping a young player learn something new and watch them incorporate what they have learned into their game, and achieve new success.  Basketball was instrumental to my development as a man, and these young players cannot, must not, be denied that same opportunity.  Neither a city budget crisis, nor the ever presence of senseless violence can be permitted to interfere in the chance of Chicago’s young boys and girls to play and compete in the game of basketball.  I can’t fix the problems on Chicago’s west side, but I can teach young boys and girls how to shoot a basketball.

I was fortunate enough to see the boys and girls at Piccolo Middle School compete this past winter through their basketball season.  But when their season ended, the school had no funds for a celebration of the players’ commitment and achievement.  Winter sports banquets happened across the city, I even attended my own son’s basketball banquet at his high school in a Chicago suburb.  But there was nothing planned at Piccolo Middle School.  I could not accept that and neither could Glen.

Thankfully, Glen Lerner Injury Attorneys and its outreach program, Glen Lerner Gives Back, stepped up and provided what the school and the players needed – A Basketball Banquet.  It was nothing fancy, pizza, pasta and salad from a local favorite pizza parlor, Beggars Pizza.  When I explained what we were doing, Beggars gave us a substantial discount on all the food.  We also provided 44 trophies and medals from a local trophy and sign company, Crown Trophy.  They were happy to help select quality items to commemorate the season for the boys and girls.

Together, the players, parents, teachers and coaches celebrated their basketball season.  For an hour or two, one middle school on Chicago’s west side had a party and applauded each other and their accomplishments.  I was honored and humbled to be a small part of it.

Basketball has always been and always will be an invaluable tool to teach critical life skills.  And thanks to my boss’ refreshing and unique commitment to community outreach, and the help of a couple of local businesses, basketball will continue to teach important life lessons to the ballers at Piccolo Middle School.

The Real Heroes

Glen Lerner Gives Back spends a significant amount of time in local neighborhoods. The lawyers and support staff of our Chicago personal injury firm are very involved in charitable activities and sponsorship opportunities within the communities where we live and work to help improve the lives of others.
We share conversations over meals and serve side by side with local leaders. We celebrate our neighbors’ victories and support them in their losses. We become advocates for their local community.
As an organization, our Chicago injury law firm never sees ourselves as the answer to a community’s problem or pretend to know it. We come alongside other groups to discover solutions.

We ask questions, we listen attentively, and when appropriate, we respond. We are never “THE” answer but we contribute a small part of the solution whenever possible.

Often the real heroes are the nameless and faceless individuals. These invisible heroes are out in communities making a difference every day. They volunteer to meet the needs of their neighbors.

Many of them do so after working full-time jobs and taking care of their own families. Out of their own pockets, they fund initiatives that meet desperate needs.

You and I may never meet them or hear about their work, but they are out there touching lives and leaving lasting marks in the souls of communities.

Every so often, we are lucky enough to be in the same room with them, and for a brief moment or even a season, we share in their mission and support their work.  On rare occasions, our Chicago personal injury attorneys have the opportunity to tell their story and to bring awareness to the causes that are deep in their hearts.

Our effectiveness in community outreach comes from learning the lessons these real heroes teach.

Mrs. Erin Lausen, Dean of Culture at Piccolo School of Excellence

Mrs. Erin Lausen by day serves on the administration team at Piccolo School of Excellence on Chicago’s West Side. The school’s vision is to cultivate a multicultural community that will prepare and educate ALL students with the academic and social skills necessary to be lifelong learners and leaders that will contribute to society.

We were first introduced to Mrs. Lausen by an organization called Triple Threat Mentoring, based in Aurora IL, which runs a program called WINGS. Tom Grace, one of our Chicago personal injury attorneys, served as a volunteer through WINGS program at Piccolo.  It was through this volunteer opportunity that our relationship with the school and Mrs. Lausen began.

Mrs. Lausen not only serves the school as an administrator and a teacher, but also as its 7/8th Grade boys’ basketball coach. Coach Lausen, as she is known to her team, is one of those nameless and faceless individuals that often go beyond the regular job duties to meet students’ needs.

After full days of work and sometimes even on weekends, Mrs. Lausen is often found coaching her basketball team and helping them create new opportunities that the game of basketball can offer.

Coach Lausen understands that the lessons she teaches on the court are often transferable to the players’ day-to-day lives. She helps the students understand that basketball is not just about a game, but a metaphor for life itself.

Without people like Coach Lausen, these boys would not have the extra-curricular opportunities they now enjoy. The practices, clinics, and games that she leads faithfully help the students learn discipline and stay focused in school.

Glen Lerner Gives Back is honored to tell the story of our West Side hero and friend, Mrs. Erin Lausen.

Page 4 of 26« First...23456...1020...Last »